Skip to main content
Coronavirus | Updates, advice and resources for families and practitioners

Council Tax Reduction | Redbridge

What is Council Tax Benefit?

Council Tax Benefit is where the council pays some or all of your Council Tax for you.  How much the council pays depends on your circumstances, or the circumstances of certain other adults who live with you.

The person who is liable for Council tax in your property is the one who must apply.  However you can apply on someone's behalf.  If you're unsure you can always contact us.

Am I eligible?

Who can apply for a Council Tax Reduction?

  • the person who is liable to pay for Council Tax in the property must make the application for a reduction in Council Tax
  • the person making the application must be over 18 
  • be a resident of that property

and where all of the following does not apply:

  • have savings over £16,000 (as a couple or single person)
  • is a full time student, unless they are disabled or have children (the non-student partner of a full-time student can make the claim)
  • not the person who pays Council Tax
  • is seeking asylum
  • living in the UK under a sponsorship agreement

How do I apply?

You can apply for both Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction at the same time using our online form available on the Redbridge website. 

Who to contact

020 8554 5000
Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited