Coping Through Football
Coping Through Football is a transformational project that demonstrates how two sporting charities can work with the NHS to produce a sustainable recovery model approach to engage with and improve the wellbeing of adults and young people who have enduring mental illness.
The project shows how sport can:
- help tackle stigma and discrimination
- can work together with the health sector on shared agendas to reduce inequalities
- be a tool for engagement with hard to reach groups
- assist in the recovery of those with mental ill health
The aim is to use the football experience to get fitter, increase levels of self-esteem and confidence, make new friends and ultimately to help people get their lives back on track. We do not see ourselves as a football project but a social inclusion project that uses football as a tool to engage people who have experienced mental health problems. Most of our players have experienced social exclusion, unemployment, poor physical and mental health and lack a social network or support and Coping Through Football sets out to address these issues.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Sonia Smith | Jo McKenzie
- Contact Position
- Project Coordinator | Project Manager
- 07538 101450 | 020 7323 0331 07538 101450 | 020 7323 0331
- Sonia.firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
- Scan to visit this website
Where to go
Fairlop Oak Playing Field
- IG6 3HJ
- View IG6 3HJ on a map
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Youth session Mondays at 16:00 to 17:30 Adult sessions Mondays at 14:00 to 16:00 & Wednesdays at 14:30 to 16:00
- Age Ranges
- 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and over
- Referral Details
Referrals are welcomed from health professionals, GP, Education staff and parents. To make a referral email or contact us with your contact details and those of the client. Provide some background information (i.e. physical health issues and risk issues). We will contact the person and arrange a meeting. Once the person attends the first session the referral form can be completed the week after.
- Other notes
- A qualified coach from Leyton Orient Trust leads the session and a qualified Health Care Professional (OT) is always present.