Aural, Music Literacy and General Music Skills for children in Years 2 to 4
Purpose of the classes:
- To develop aural skills, music literacy, ensemble skills and a deeper understanding of music making to enhance other instrumental or vocal activities.
- To build on skills and concepts covered in Music Kindergarten and Young Music Makers.
- To form a sound basis for future music making for children who have not experienced Music Kindergarten or Young Music Makers.
Key Elements of the Classes:
- Playing tuned and untuned percussion instruments.
- Kodaly tonal patterns.
- Beat/rhythm activities with Kodaly syllables.
- Listening, responding and appraising.
Children learn through singing, moving, listening and playing a variety of tuned and untuned percussion instruments. Glockenspiels may be purchased from the instrument centre in order that children may practice at home. Homework will be given out weekly related to activities and concepts covered in the class. Parents are invited to come in for the final five minutes of each lesson to hear what the children have learnt. This enables parents to understand what the children are learning, see their progress and to assist them with their homework if necessary.