What is Healthy Start?
With Healthy Start, you can get free vouchers every week which you can swap for milk, fresh fruit and vegetables, frozen fruit and vegetables and infant formula milk. You can also get free vitamins. Healthy Start replaces the Welfare Food Scheme.
Do I qualify for Healthy Start?
You qualify for Healthy Start if you're pregnant or have a child under four years old AND:
- you or your family get Income Support, or
- you or your family get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, or
- you or your family get Employment and Support Allowance, or
- you or your family get Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit unless your family is receiving Working Tax Credit run-on only) and have an annual family income of below £16,190 or less
- you or your family get Universal Credit (with a family take home pay of £408 or less per month)
You also qualify if you are under 18 and pregnant, even if you don’t get any of the above benefits.
How do I apply?
- Apply online at https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/healthy-start-vouchers/how-to-apply/online-application-form/
- Applications no longer need to be signed off by a health professional