What are Free School Meals?
Free school meals are provided to children at maintained schools in Redbridge. From September 2014 there will be two types of Free School Meals - Universal and Targetted.
Universal Free School Meals
From September 2014 all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will be eligible for Universal Free School Meals. By registering your entitlement you will benefit the school your child/children attend.
You are strongly encouraged to register for Universal Free School Meals if you are in receipt of one or more of the benefits listed within the Targeted Free School Meals section below.
Targeted Free School Meals
You are strongly encouraged to register for Universal Free School Meals if you are in receipt of one or more of the listed benefits:
- Income Support (IS)
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and
- have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after qualification for Working
- Tax Credit ends
- Universal Credit (currently in place in pathfinder areas only)
Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also allowed to receive free school meals. Children under the compulsory school age who are in full-time education may also be entitled to receive free school meals.
If, after reading the information on this page and on the application forms, you are unsure whether you qualify for an award, please submit an application form and we will contact you to let you know if you are in fact eligible. ‘Please note you should apply to the local authority in which your child attends school’.
How do I claim?
You can check if you are eligible and apply online on the following link: http://www.redbridge.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals