In addition to the on-site provision for hearing impaired students, Roding Primary School also provides an outreach service to students who attend other schools in the Borough, including special schools.
The peripatetic service provides:
- in-class support for pupils;
- advice to other schools;
- in-service training and deaf awareness sessions;
- care and maintenance of audiological equipment;
- advice and support for families;
- monitoring and assessment;
- monitoring of students in out-of-borough provisions, including those students who require a residential placement (including all age special schools);
- advice for annual reviews of Individual Education Plans;
- liaison with other agencies in the health and education services.
The outreach service also provides support for pre-school children and their families, from the age of diagnosis. Visits are undertaken at home, or alternative pre-school placements, and focus on:
- the practical aspects of hearing aid care and management;
- play-based activities to promote language development;
- support and advice for families;
- monitoring and assessment of progress;