Child Tax Credit (CTC) | GOV.UK
What are Child Tax Credits?
Child Tax Credit has been replaced by Universal Credit for most people.
You can only make a new claim for Child Tax Credit if you:
- get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
- got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it
If your child is 16, you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday. If they are in approved education or training, you can claim until their 20th birthday.
If you cannot make a new claim for Child Tax Credit, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit (or Pension Credit if you and your partner are State Pension age or over).
What you’ll get
The amount you can get depends on how many children you’ve got and whether you’re:
- making a new claim for Child Tax Credit
- already claiming Child Tax Credit
Child Tax Credit won’t affect your Child Benefit.
You can only claim Child Tax Credit for children you’re responsible for.
How do I claim?
If you’re new to tax credits you’ll need to order a claim form.
It can take up to 2 weeks for the claim form to arrive and up to 5 weeks to process a new claim.
If you're making a new claim or already claiming Child Tax Credit.
Please see the website for specific instructions.
Who to contact
- 0345 300 3900 or 0345 300 3909 (textphone) 0345 300 3900 or 0345 300 3909 (textphone)
- Scan to visit this website
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday to Friday - 8.00am to 8.00pm, Saturday 8.00am to 4.00pm, Sunday - 9.00am to 5.00pm.
- Age Ranges
- Under 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and over, All Ages
Tax credits (GOV.UK)