Parenting workers within the Early Intervention & Family Support Service (EI&FSS) deliver a range of parenting programmes to help and support parents to develop better relationships with their children.
The programmes tend to be delivered within groups of up to 12 parents and are usually run from community based venues such as children centres and schools. There are always a minimum of two qualified facilitators for each group and there is always ample opportunity to speak privately with the facilitators before and after the group sessions.
The programmes use a variety of methods to help parents gain new knowledge , skills and insights, including discussion, video, specialist speakers and information sharing within their group sessions. Courses include:
- Incredible Years programme (Managing Children’s Behaviour) for parents/carers of children aged 1-3 years.
- Incredible Years’ programme (Managing Children’s Behaviour) for parents/carers of children aged 3 – 6 years.
- 'Incredible Years' programme (managing children's behaviour) for parents/carers of children aged 6-12 years.
- 'Mellow Parenting' is for parents/carers of children under the age of 5 years
- Parenting Teenagers programme for parents of children aged 11-18 years
- Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities - programme for parents of children aged 3-18 years
- Discussion Group- (for parents with a learning disability)
- 'Mellow Bumps' is a group for 'mothers to be' who are 20-30 weeks gestation
- Parenting Children with a Disability or Additional Needs
- AVA (Against Violence & Abuse) Programme
- Triple P under 12s is a course for parents/carers of children aged 2-12 years (delivered by families together)
- Young Peoples Group
- Toy Library (Stay & Play) from June 2017
After completing programmes, parents have said:
- “I wished I’d known about this course earlier”
- “Everybody should do this course”
- “Things are so much better at home now”
- “I now realise what a difference it makes if I spend special time with Peter”
- “I now know how to walk away until I’m calmer”
- “I actually enjoy my time with my children now”