Skip to main content
Coronavirus | Updates, advice and resources for families and practitioners

Access to Learning Fund

What is Access to Learning Fund?

If you’re in financial hardship and need extra help to start a course or stay in higher education, you could get help from the Access to Learning Fund. This is paid on top of the main student finance package.

Your university or college decides who gets the money and how much they get.

Am I eligible?

You can apply to the Access to Learning Fund if you’re studying a higher education course that’s:

  • full-time
  • part-time
  • undergraduate
  • postgraduate

If you’re a part-time student you may qualify if your course:

  • lasts at least 1 year
  • takes no more than twice as long to complete as an equivalent full-time course
  • takes no more than 4 times as long to complete as an equivalent full-time course if you’re a new student starting from September 2012

You must apply for any student loans, grants and bursaries you’re entitled to before applying for the Access to Learning Fund.

The following groups are priorities for support:

  • students with children - especially single parents
  • mature students - especially those with existing financial commitments
  • students from low-income families (as determined by the university or college)
  • disabled students
  • care leavers (if you’ve been in care)
  • students who are homeless or who are living in ‘Foyers’ (these provide accommodation, guidance and support for homeless young people)
  • final-year students

How do I claim?

Contact the student services department at your university or college - they’ll decide if you qualify.

Who to contact

Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited