What are Professional and Career Development Loans?
Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career or help get you into work. Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays interest while you’re studying.
Am I eligible?
To apply you must:
- be 18 or over
- have been living in the UK for at least 3 years before your course starts
- plan to work in the UK, European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) after the course
- only last up to 2 years, or 3 years if they include 1 year of work experience
- be provided by an organisation on the Professional Career and Development Loan Register - check with your course provider
- help with your career - they don’t have to lead to a qualification
You can’t get Professional and Career Development Loans for first full-time degrees but you can apply for student finance.
How do I claim?
You will need to order an application pack and send it to your bank. Your bank will decide if you qualify for a loan. You take out the loan with your bank and agree to their repayment conditions. You can order an application pack from the National Careers Service. You should apply 3 months before your course starts to give the bank enough time to process your application.