Specialist Health Visitor for children with SEND | Redbridge NELFT
The Specialist Health visitor for children with additional needs service is for children and families who have been referred to the Redbridge Child Development Centre.
Work is carried out both at the Child Development Centre and in the family home and can be on a 1:1 basis or by joint contact with other professionals involved with the family.
The Specialist Health Visitor provides:
- Specialist Health Visiting guidance, and advocacy to children and young people with additional needs and their families e.g supporting parents and carers through the process of diagnosis , discussing developmental concerns, sleep hygiene,diet and continence.
- The Specialist Health Visitor is a member of the Social communication assessment team at the Redbridge CDC. The team assesses children for Autistic Spectrum disorders, informs parents/carers of the outcome and offers support to the families in caring for a child with an Autistic Spectrum Condition. This includes referral and information on relevant services such as earlybird trainng, local support groups and parent forums.
- Works closely with Health, Education, Social services and Voluntary services e.g Pre school home visiting team, Community Paediatricians, Therapists, Children with disablilties team, Health Visitors, School nurses, GPs Educational Psychologists and Pre school learning Alliance. The aim is to provide a holistic approach in communicating and sharing advice, information and plans to all relevant parties and family.
- Supports families during news breaking appointments with Community Paediatricians at the CDC.
- Provide emotional and social support to parents and carers with additional needs and their families.
- Attends meetings and panels, which focus on children with additional needs as the CDC representative e.g Pre School Liason group.
- Contributes to the support and education of Health Visitors and related staff to increase their knowledge in the field of additional needs and the role of the CDC.
- Trains parents on adminstering medication e.g emergency epilepsy medication.
- Contributes to the identification and protection of children attending the Centre who are at risk of abuse and to participate fully in the monitoring and support network offering help to vulnerable children and their families
- Assesses and refers children on to other appropiate services depending on their need
Who is this service for?
Children and families under the care of the Redbridge Child Development Centre (CDC).
Who to contact
- 0300 300 1636 0300 300 1636
Where to go
- RM6 4XH
- View RM6 4XH on a map
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday to Friday - 9.00am to 5.00pm
- Age Ranges
- Under 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Referrals are made by professionals based at the Redbridge Child Development Centre based on needs of the child