What is this service?
ActivEyes Redbridge is a user led peer support group for blind and partially sighted people living in or around the London Borough of Redbridge. That ActivEyes Redbridge is a sustainable, active, self help user led organisation for blind and partially sighted people in Redbridge and the immediate surrounding area, making individual independence achievable by: involving, empowering, and providing a voice to visually impaired people.
- Provide mutual support, friendship and advice and reduce isolation
- Organise a varied range of activities and events as requested by members
- Be a strong source of information, advice and support and the first local port of call for health, statutory and voluntary sector agencies for vision impaired people,
- Work collaboratively with all other organisations that support visually impaired people in Redbridge
- Represent Redbridge visually impaired people at local and pan-London external meetings and on relevant committees, consultation groups, etc.
- Meetings: We meet on a quarterly basis to update members on local and national developments relevant to visually impaired people, to agree the ongoing priorities and programme for ActivEyes Redbridge, and to provide an opportunity for social interaction
- Activities: We arrange a wide range of physical and social activities such as: tenpin bowling, tennis for visually impaired people, walks, visits to places of interest, and meals out
- Advice: We respond to enquiries from members with direct advice and support, or by signposting them to alternative organisations
- Communication: We communicate with members and external agencies by a combination of: maintaining an up-to-date website, via social media, regular mail outs and making use of partner organisations such as the Redbridge Talking Newspaper
- Local Representation: We Chair the Redbridge Vision Strategy Group, which brings together representatives from health, statutory and voluntary sectors, to drive the Vision Strategy Action Plan, ensuring that anyone experiencing sight loss receives the service they require at a time appropriate to themselves
- Regional Representation: We represent Redbridge on the East London Vision Board, an umbrella organisation covering the 7 east London boroughs, and on the London Visual Impairment Forum.
Who is it for?
Membership is free to anyone who lives in or near the borough of Redbridge and has a sight impairment that affects their daily living.
Our Friends scheme is open and free to anyone who wishes to offer support, including family members, carers, volunteers, sector professionals and others – we welcome any genuine offer of help or support!