London Independent Visitors is a programme that pairs children in care with a volunteer mentor.
The volunteer mentors (also known as 'independent visitors') guide, advise, listen to and befriend young people in care, sharing their experiences as well as trying new activities and spending quality time together.
Five reasons you should become a mentor
Making a positive difference to the life of a vulnerable child or young person is an amazing feeling, but by volunteering as a mentor you'll also:
- make new friends and have unforgettable experiences;
- take part in ongoing training, and gain accreditation which could help your future career;
- attend regular support meetings with your volunteer coordinator;
- have all of your expenses covered;
- be able to easily fit mentoring around your other commitments.