What is Child Benefit?
Child Benefit is a tax-free payment that you can claim for your child. It is usually paid every four weeks but in some cases can be paid weekly, and there are separate rates for each child. The payment can be claimed by anyone who qualifies, whatever their income or savings.
Am I eligible?
You may be able to claim Child Benefit if any of the following apply:
- your child is under 16
- your child is between 16 and 20 and is in relevant education or training
- your child is 16 or 17, has left relevant education or training and is registered for work, education or training with an approved body
You will get a higher rate of Child Benefit for your eldest or only child, and then a lower rate for any additional children. Guardian's Allowance is an extra amount that some people get on top of Child Benefit. To find out the Child Benefit rates for this tax year visit the website.
Recent changes to Child Benefit
If you, or your partner, have an individual income of more than £50,000 and one of you is entitled to get Child Benefit you might be affected by a new tax charge.
You will be affected by the High Income Child Benefit charge if during a tax year any of the following applies to you:
- you have an individual income of more than £50,000 and are entitled to receive Child Benefit
- you have an individual income of more than £50,000 and live (or have lived) with a partner who's entitled to receive Child Benefit
- both you and your partner have an income of more than £50,000 per year, you have the higher income and one of you is entitled to receive Child Benefit
You will also be affected if during a tax year you have an individual income of more than £50,000 and both of the following apply:
- someone else is entitled to receive Child Benefit for a child who lives with you
- they're entitled because they contribute at least an equivalent amount of Child Benefit towards the child's upkeep, for example pocket money or clothes
It doesn't matter if the child that is living with you is not your own child.
For more information on the High Income Child Benefit Charge please visit the HMRC website.
How do I claim?
You will need to contact either the Child Benefit office or your local Jobcentre Plus office.
For more information about Child Benefit please visit the website.