Skip to main content
Coronavirus | Updates, advice and resources for families and practitioners

Child Maintenance Service | GOV.UK

Child Maintenance is an arrangement between you and the other parent of your child. It covers how your child’s living costs will be paid for when one of the parents no longer lives with them. It’s made when you’ve separated from the other parent (or if you’ve never been in a relationship).

Both parents are responsible for the costs of raising their children, even if they do not see them. Making agreements about access to your children happens separately.

Child maintenance can be either:

  • a private arrangement between you and the other parent
  • made through the Child Maintenance Service - a government scheme

You need to have child maintenance arrangements for children under 16 (or under 20 if they’re in approved education or training). If you make a private arrangement you can continue paying after then.

Child Maintenance Arrangements

Find out more about the Child Maintenance Service and making arrangements, including: 

  1. Making and getting payments
  2. what to do if a parent does not pay
  3. changes you need to report
  4. disagreements about parentage
  5. complaints and appeals

Who to contact

0845 713 3133 or 0845 713 8924 (textphone)
Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited