Skip to main content

Guardian's Allowance

What is the Guardian's Allowance?

You could get Guardian’s Allowance if you’re bringing up a child whose parents have died.

Depending on the circumstances, you could also be eligible if there is one surviving parent.

Am I eligible?

To get Guardian’s Allowance all of the following must apply:

  • you’re bringing up someone else’s child
  • the child’s parents are dead (see conditions for one surviving parent below)
  • you qualify for Child Benefit
  • one of the parents was born in the UK (or was living in the UK since the age of 16 for at least 52 weeks in any 2-year period)

If there is a surviving parent you may be able to apply if:

  • you don’t know where the surviving parent is
  • the parents were divorced or their civil partnership had dissolved, the surviving parent doesn’t have custody and isn’t maintaining the child and there isn’t a court order in place saying they should
  • the parents weren’t married, the mother has died and the father is unknown
  • the surviving parent will be in prison for at least 2 years from the date of death of the other parent
  • the surviving parent is in a hospital by court order

How do I claim?

To avoid losing money, claim Guardian’s Allowance as soon as the child comes to live with you. You can download an application by visiting the website shown.

Who to contact

0845 302 1464 or 0845 302 1474 (textphone)
Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited