The Nursery Milk Scheme enables:
- Children under 5 to receive free of charge 189 ml (1/3 pint) of milk for each day they attend approved day care facilities for 2 hours or more.
- Babies aged under 12 months may instead receive dried baby milk made up to 189ml (1/3 pint).
Day care providers who have been approved to supply milk under the scheme can be reimbursed the cost of the milk they supply.
Who can apply for approval?
- A registered childminder
- A registered day care provider
- A local authority which provides day care
- Those providing day care to children under 5 in schools or establishments that are exempt from registration
- Those providing day care in a nursery or creche for the children (under 5 years old) of management and staff of certain establishments (eg children's homes, voluntary or community homes, NHS hospitals which are exempt from registration)
* Note: Day care provided for less than two hours in a day does not qualify for approval under the scheme. Parents and relatives of the child and privately employed nannies are also not eligible under the scheme.