Learner Support | GOV.UK

What is Learner Support?

If you’re aged 19 or over, on a further education course and facing financial hardship, you could get Learner Support.

You apply to your learning provider (for example your college) for Learner Support. How much you get depends on your circumstances.

The money can help pay for things like:

  • accommodation and travel
  • course materials and equipment
  • childcare - if you qualify

Am I eligible?

To get Learner Support you must be:

  • 19 or over
  • studying at a learning provider funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (check with your college)

You must be 20 or over to get help with childcare costs. If you’re 19, apply for Care to Learn instead.

You can apply even if you get other types of funding, for example:

  • Professional and Career Development Loans
  • Care to Learn
  • Disability Living Allowance

You can’t claim if you’re:

  • getting student finance for higher education
  • on a Community Learning course

How to apply

Apply directly to your learning provider (for example, a college) - they each have their own application process.

Speak to your student support services to:

  • get help applying
  • find out what’s available

This fund was previously known as Discretionary Learner Support.

Who to contact

Scan to visit this website


Age Ranges
19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and over


Save to Shortlist

Last Updated

Last updated:

Skip back to top of page