Skip to main content
Coronavirus | Updates, advice and resources for families and practitioners

Adult Dependants' Grant | GOV.UK

What is the Adult Dependants' Grant?

If you’re a full-time student in higher education and an adult depends on you financially, you can apply for an Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to:

  • £3,094 for the 2020 to 2021 academic year
  • £3,007 for the 2019 to 2020 academic year

The grant:

  • does not have to be paid back
  • is paid on top of your other student finance

The amount you get depends on:

  • your income
  • the adult dependant’s income
  • your personal circumstances, for example if you’re married or have children
  • what other grants you’re receiving, for example Childcare Grant

Am I eligible?

Usually the adult dependant will be:

  • your husband, wife, partner or civil partner
  • a relative, such as a parent or grandparent

If you’re under 25, the adult dependant cannot be your partner unless you’re married or in a civil partnership.

You’re not eligible if the adult dependant is:

  • your child
  • a relative who earns more than £3,796 a year
  • getting student finance

How do I claim?

  1. Fill in the Adult Dependants’ Grant section on your main student finance application - you’ll need to give estimates of your household income.

  2. Student Finance England will assess your application and contact you if they need more information.

  3. Student Finance England will send you a letter telling you if you qualify and how much money you’ll get.

  4. At the end of the academic year Student Finance England will send you an income confirmation form to check if your actual outgoings match your estimates in the application. They will then adjust your payments accordingly.

Who to contact

Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited