Children living away from home

Families can experience crisis or stressful periods where an arrangement is made for the  child/children to live away from home.  If a child has been removed from the home (voluntarily or otherwise) they become the responsibility of the local authority. This is sometimes referred to as being ‘looked after’ by Social Services.  This is a decision that is not made lightly and all other possibilities are explored.  Such as family members or friends who could look after the child.  If this is not possible or suitable the child can be placed with a foster carer, or in some cases a children’s home.  All these arrangements are made with the child’s best interest in mind

Not all children living away from home are removed by local authorities.  Some parents make their own private arrangements for their children to live with extended family temporarily, however in some cases this may become permanent and is considered private fostering.

Related advice and information

  1. Council Tax payments, reductions and exemptions in Redbridge
View all services

Related information

External Links
  1. Children in care
Skip back to top of page