The role of grandparents has always been important but with more of us relying on our parents to help out with childcare - one in four grandparents care for their grandchildren on a regular basis - grandparents are becoming more and more central to family life in the 21st century.
Children Centres in Redbridge are a one-stop shop for young children and their carers and Grandparents who are caring for their grandchildren are welcome to attend these sessions. Children Centres can offer advice on benefits entitlement, finding a school/nursery, housing, health and much more.
Advice and information for grandparents
Family Lives offers confidential help and advice to families on many areas of family life, including information for grandparents on a wide range of subjects, including:
- Grandparents and family life
- Kinship care: grandchildren coming to live with you
- How to set up a grandparent and toddler group
- Young grandparents and poverty
- When can you leave your grandchildren home alone
- Grandparents providing childcare
- Grandparents guide to nappies
- Helping your grandchildren understand dementia
- Making the internet safer for grandchildren
Contact a Family has information for grandparents with grandchildren who have a special educational need and/or disability (SEND). View the leaflet here.
Grandparents Plus is a national organisation that provides a range of information, advice and support on many areas relevant for grandparents. View the website here.