Parents and carers may employ a tutor for their child or children for a variety of reasons:

  • to help with their school work;
  • to improve their grades;
  • to learn a musical instrument;
  • other extracurricular activity (e.g. sports coaching and drama);
  • accompaniment on musical instruments.

You may find it useful to contact your child's school first to see if they are able to offer additional support to your child.

It is important to note that there is no list of 'approved tutors' that is held by the local council or within this directory. In this section however you will find the following three areas:

  • Registered tutors – these are registered with Ofsted on the Childcare Register on a voluntary basis and are monitored to ensure they are adhering to registration requirements
  • Unregistered tutors – local individual tutors and tutoring services that are not registered with Ofsted
  • Searching for a tutor – details of local or national services that offer an opportunity for parents and carers to find a tutor service for their child(ren)

Please note we are unable to verify whether any tutor service is suitable for you to use, whether they are registered or not. Before searching for, or using a tutor please ensure you read the guidance available for download Thinking of using the services of a Private Tutor or Tuition Centre? which is produced by the Redbridge Local Safeguarding Children Board and provides answers to the following questions:

  • Thinking of employing a private tutor?
  • Does the Council hold a list of approved tutors?
  • Can the school help me identify a tutor?
  • How do I find a tutor?
  • When selecting a tutor, how can I be sure that they are properly qualified and do not pose a risk to my child?
  • When I have found a suitable tutor, where should tuition take place?
  • What should I do if my child tells me something inappropriate has happened or I find the tutor behaving inappropriately with my child?

You can view guidance on safeguarding and child protection for tutors from the NSPCC at https://learning.nspcc.org.uk/safeguarding-child-protection/tutors#heading-top

If you have any concerns about a tutor, please contact the Child Protection and Assessment Team (CPAT).

View all services

Browse by subject

Related information

  1. LSCB Private Tutor and Tuition Centre Leaflet

Related Images

Select image to enlarge

Skip back to top of page