About Special Schools

If your child has a statement of special educational needs (SEN) or Education, Health and Care Plan, they will usually be educated in mainstream schools or an early education setting. However sometimes a child's needs may be more complex and require the support of a special school.

If your child has a Statement of SEN or EHC Plan you have a right to say which school you want them to go to, either mainstream or special. This can be the school they already go to.

Special schools usually take children with particular types of special needs. Many mainstream schools also have provision for children with particular needs. For example, they may have good access for physically disabled pupils or specialised teaching for pupils with hearing or sight difficulties.

You can ask to see a school's policy on SEN to make sure you know what they can offer. You can also arrange to visit a school.

For more information about special schools and other specialist support/provision in mainstream schools please go to the education section of the Local Offer.


Page last reviewed: 18/03/2021

Skip back to top of page