Skip to main content
Coronavirus | Updates, advice and resources for families and practitioners

Making a complaint about a private/independent school

Depending on your concern, the usual route for making a complaint involving a school is as follows:

  1. The Head Teacher: any issues concerning the general running of the school would need to be addressed to the Head in the first instance.
  2. The School Complaints Policy: all schools will have a policy governing their handling of parental complaints. This will be available on request from the school, if it has not already been given to you.
  3. The Governing Body: if you feel a complaint to a Head has not been answered satisfactorily, you could consider an appeal to the board of governors/proprietor/owners in writing.

You may also wish to consult the Independent Schools Inspectorate guidance on what to do if you have concerns about a private/independent school.

It should be noted that neither the Independent Schools Council nor its constituent associations have the legal remit to get involved in the handling of parental complaints themselves.


Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited